Davis & Hamrick, LLP traces its history back to 1946, when Judge Roy Deal, Fred S. Hutchins, Sr.and John Minor founded the Firm of Deal, Hutchins & Minor, located in the Pepper Building in downtown Winston-Salem.
In the early 1950s, Dennie Spry and Claude Hamrick formed the Firm of Spry & Hamrick, located on Waughtown Street, where they were later joined by George E. Doughton, Jr. In 1977, Claude Hamrick left the Firm to accept a position as General Counsel for McLean Trucking Company, James Harrell was elected to the District Court Bench, and H. Lee Davis, Jr. joined the Firm. Soon thereafter, Thomas W. Moore, the former District Attorney for the 21st Judicial District, joined the Firm and it became Doughton & Moore.
In 1980, Deal Hutchins and Minor changed its name to Hutchins & Tyndall, and in 1981, the two firms merged as Hutchins, Tyndall, Doughton & Moore, which was located in the former Winston-Salem Savings and Loan Building on Third Street. In 1983, Claude’s son, Kent L. Hamrick, joined the Firm. Following the retirement of Richard Tyndall and Tom Moore, and the death of George Doughton, the Firm changed its name to Davis & Hamrick in 1996.
Based upon the strong principles and reputations of our predecessor Firms, Davis & Hamrick has remained focused on representing clients in litigation and business matters efficiently, honestly and professionally.
In 2001, the Firm moved to its current location, at 635 West Fourth Street in downtown Winston-Salem, known as the historic Winston Theatre building. The Winston Theatre previously operated as a downtown movie theatre from 1949 to 1976. It was designed by well-known theatre architect Earle Stillwell and was named for Revolutionary War Colonel Joseph Winston. At the time, the modern theatre seated 1,000 people and featured the latest designs in carpeting and lighting.
Now, more than 70 years later, the Firm remains committed to its original Mission: to zealously represent our clients efficiently, effectively, and with integrity.