Ann’s primary areas of practice are Public Entity Defense, Workers’ Compensation, Insurance Defense Litigation, and federal and state Appellate Advocacy.
Since beginning practice in 1999, Ann has represented clients in state courts and federal courts, including trials and motion practice. She has also tried numerous cases before the North Carolina Industrial Commission. Ann has represented clients before the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Ann is licensed to practice in all North Carolina state and federal courts, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Ann has served as Town Attorney for the Town of Walnut Cove, North Carolina since 2011. One of her areas of special interest is public entity law, where she represents municipalities, counties, departments of local governments, elected officials, law enforcement personnel, and employees of local governments throughout the state, in both state courts and federal courts. She has extensive experience dealing with questions of governmental immunity.
Ann lives in Winston-Salem with her husband, Ben, and their three wonderful children: Elizabeth, Will, and Luke.
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
Professional and Community Activities
- Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church – Safety Committee, School Care Board, Trustee, Sunday School teacher, Vacation Bible School leader
- Jefferson Elementary School – PTA Board Member
- Jefferson Elementary School and Sherwood Forest Elementary School – Volunteer
- Edwards v. Hackney, NO. COA12-1146, 741 S.E.2d 925 (N.C. Ct. App. Feb. 12, 2013), writ. denied 754 S.E.2d 825, 2013 N.C. LEXIS 1428 (N.C. Dec. 18, 2013).
- Nowlin v. Moravian Ch. in Am., NO. COA12-1290, 745 S.E.2d 51 (N.C. Ct. App. Jul. 16, 2013).
- Barnes v. Erie Ins. Exch., 156 N.C. App. 270, 576 S.E.2d 681, rev. denied 357 N.C. 457, 585 S.E.2d 382 (2003).
- Hulse v. Arrow Trucking Co., 161 N.C. App. 306, 587 S.E.2d 898 (2003).
- Mims v. Wright, 157 N.C. App. 339, 578 S.E.2d 606 (2003).
- Pierce v. Johnson, 154 N.C. App. 34, 571 S.E.2d 661 (2002).
- Selected Topics in Workers’ Compensation Law – Continuing Legal Education (2012, 2013)
North Carolina, 1999
United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, 1999
United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, 2011
United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, 2014
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2001
Duke University, Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, 1996
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Juris Doctor, 1999