Kent has tried well over one hundred jury trials to verdicts in North Carolina state courts during his career. In addition, he has briefed and argued numerous cases before the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the North Carolina Supreme Court.
Kent is licensed to practice in all North Carolina state courts, the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Kent is an AV rated attorney by Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating that can be attained. He is an active member of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (“NCADA”) and the Defense Research Institute (“DRI”). He has periodically lectured at CLE seminars for the North Carolina Bar Foundation and the NCADA. He has also given multiple lectures and presentations to insurance carriers on current legal and claims issues.
Kent has a unique understanding of what insurance carriers expect of and deserve from their defense counsel. He is always readily accessible to provide quick and sound advice. The foundation of his practice is honesty, mutual trust, hard work and the unwavering loyalty to his clients in the pursuit of cost-effective, positive results.
Kent has a special interest in the defense of cases involving complex issues of medical causation, e.g. traumatic brain injuries, cognitive impairment, PTSD, spinal surgeries, shoulder surgeries and the partial and total replacement of knee and hip joints.
Kent lives in Winston-Salem with his wife, Gina, and they are the proud parents of two wonderful daughters, Meredith and Madeline.
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute (“DRI”)
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Edwards v. Hackney, 2013 N.C. App. LEXIS 420, 741 S.E.2d 925 (2013)
- Headley v. Williams, 150 N.C. App. 590, 563 S.E.2d 630 (2002)
- Ins. Co. of N. Am. v. Aetna Life & Cas. Co., 88 N.C. App. 236, 362 S.E.2d 836 (1987)
- Isenhour v. Universal Underwriters Ins. Co., 341 N.C. 597, 461 S.E.2d 317 (1995)
- NCNB Nat'l Bank v. Robinson, 80 N.C. App. 154, 341 S.E.2d 364 (1986)
- Pelzer v. UPS, 126 N.C. App. 305, 484 S.E.2d 849 (1997)
- Pierce v. Johnson, 154 N.C. App. 34, 571 S.E.2d 661 (2002)
- State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Blackwelder, 332 N.C. 135, 418 S.E.2d 229 (1992)
- State Farm Fire and Cas. Co. v. Palmer Corp. of N.C., 2005 N.C. App. LEXIS 1233 (N.C. Ct. App. Jul. 5, 2005)
- Triad Mack Sales & Serv. v. Clement Bros. Co., 113 N.C. App. 405, 438 S.E.2d 485 (1994)
- Trivette v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., 164 N.C. App. 680, 596 S.E.2d 448 (2004)
- Young ex rel. Young v. Fun Svcs.-Carolina, 122 N.C. App. 157, 468 S.E.2d 260 (1996)
- Periodic lecturer at CLE seminars for the North Carolina Bar Foundation and the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Provides periodic lectures to Insurance carriers on current legal and claims issues
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rating™ of 5.0 out of 5.0
- Phi Delta Phi, University of North Carolina - Vance Inn
Direct Line (336) 464-9784, Extension 113
Direct Line (336) 464-9782, Extension 109
Direct Line (336) 464-9788, Extension 121
North Carolina, 1983
United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, 1983
United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, 2014
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1988
Wake Forest University, B.A. magna cum laude, 1980
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D., 1983